trying to understand default setting of disabling compression if Request has Via header

Igor Sysoev is at
Tue Mar 6 21:46:31 MSK 2007

On Fri, Mar 02, 2007 at 04:24:29PM +0800, Yusuf Goolamabbas wrote:

> My reading of the gzip_proxied parameter indicates that if a Via:
> header is found in the request header than nginx will not compress the
> response. Would like to understand the rationale for this

By default nginx does not compress if request is
1) HTTP/1.0
2) and has a Via header (i.e. proxied)

because there are broken proxies (e.g. some WinRoutePro versions) that
cache gzipped content and give it to clients that do not understand them.

Igor Sysoev