Solution to get cronolog working...

Igor Sysoev is at
Fri Mar 16 13:01:22 MSK 2007

On Thu, Mar 15, 2007 at 01:43:15PM -0700, Philip Hallstrom wrote:

> I recently setup nginx and had to get cronolog working.  I noticed someone
> else asked about this a little while ago and I figured I'd write up what I
> did in case someone else wants the same thing.
> In a nutshell, I used fifo's.  More here:
> Hope folks find it useful.

You may decrease context switches number using:

-(cat /usr/local/nginx/logs/access.log | /usr/local/sbin/cronolog ...
+/usr/local/sbin/cronolog ... <

Anyway I do not think that using cronolog is useful.
You may avoid a lot of unnecessary context switches, data copies, and
possible nginx worker processes blocking using simple script run by cron
every hour:

TIME=`date +%Y/%m/%d/%H`  # FreeBSD date command, other OSes may use
                          # different switches

mv /var/log/nginx/access.log /var/log/nginx/${TIME}/access.log
mv /var/log/nginx/error.log /var/log/nginx/${TIME}/error.log

kill -USR1 `cat /var/run/`

It's simplest.

Igor Sysoev