integrate mod_rewrite into http_script_module

Igor Sysoev is at rambler-co.ru
Wed May 2 00:43:48 MSD 2007

On Tue, May 01, 2007 at 04:30:16PM +0000, Evan Miller wrote:

> Aleksandar Lazic <al-nginx at ...> writes:
>
> > I have yust read into the russian list that Igor plans to integrate the
> > mod_rewrite functions into the http_script_module.
>
> Sorry for my confusion, but can you explain a bit more what Igor plans? Will we
> be able to embed script directly into nginx.conf? Is mod_rewrite going away in
> favor of http_script_module?

Currently I want to replace ngx_http_rewrite_module with
ngx_http_script_module only. I want to remove the "rewrite" directive,
disable all static directives inside the "if" blocks, and leave only
assignments, flow control, and some special directives as proxy_pass and
fastcgi_pass inside "if" blocks.

> And when would the script block? Would it be accessing disk or the network to
> get configuration? It might be nice especially for large sites to store
> configuration information in an external file or database, and then access it
> with an embedded script.

Non-blocking behaviour means that evaluating $forbidden variable for

   if ($forbidden) {
       return  403;
   }

may include long query to remote site, and script VM should understand
EAGAIN result when asks for variable, then it should return control
to nginx, and then re-ask variable when it will be available and
continue to execute the script code.

--
Igor Sysoev
http://sysoev.ru/en/