Client-IP HTTP header to X-Forwarded-For

Mike lists.accounts at gmail.com
Thu May 3 18:31:44 MSD 2007

Hi all

I am in the dark on this one.

Client requests are through virtual IP's that are handled by a hardware
load balancer, and then passed onto the real servers on the backend. The
source IP from the client is NAT'd so that all IP's appear to originate
from the load balancer. Responses from the real servers are sent back
via the load balancer to the client.

On the load balancer, I have enabled, in the configuration, that a
header be added by the load balancer and passed onto the server that is
running Nginx (version 0.5.19). The request header that is added and
passed out to the real server, is as follows:

Client-IP: myip

Is there any way to get Nginx to log this IP as the remote_addr or as
X-Forwarded-For so that the PHP application that Nginx is passing
requests to will log the real source IP? I realise that there have been
posts in the past but I have not been able to figure this out.

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Mike