upstream with fastcgi_pass

Rapsey rapsey at gmail.com
Fri Nov 23 00:23:47 MSK 2007

I have 5 instances of a FCGI application. My config is like this:

upstream servercom {
       server 127.0.0.1:44440;
       server 127.0.0.1:44441;
       server 127.0.0.1:44442;
       server 127.0.0.1:44443;
       server 127.0.0.1:44444;
    }

location ~ \.app$ {
           fastcgi_pass servercom;
           fastcgi_index stream.app;
           fastcgi_param SCRIPT_FILENAME /var/www/htdocs$fastcgi_script_name;
           include /etc/nginx/fastcgi.conf;
        }

The FCGI application uses X-Accel-Redirect to return a .flv video. The
problem is that it only works for 1 file. After that, nginx always
throws 404.

If I don't use upstream servercom and have fastcgi_pass like so:
location ~ \.app$ {
           fastcgi_pass 127.0.0.1:44440;
           fastcgi_index stream.app;
           fastcgi_param SCRIPT_FILENAME /var/www/htdocs$fastcgi_script_name;
           include /etc/nginx/fastcgi.conf;
        }

It will work fine and always return the file that the FCGI application
sent by X-Accel-Redirect