disable gzip based on user-agent

Igor Sysoev is at rambler-co.ru
Tue Nov 27 18:06:58 MSK 2007

On Tue, Nov 27, 2007 at 10:30:03PM +0800, Eden Li wrote:

> Flash in IE6 has issues if you make requests via its ActionScript API.
>  IE6 tacks on an `Accept-Encoding: gzip,default` when it makes the
> request, but when the server actually returns a gzipped body the Flash
> plugin barfs all over it.

Flash in any browser does not understand gzipping and this is well known
fact, at least for me :). I developed mod_deflate for Apache 1.3 long ago
and had documented this here (in Russian):

http://sysoev.ru/mod_deflate/readme.html#types
http://sysoev.ru/mod_deflate/readme.html#browsers

So the single way is disable gzip in locations which are requested
from Flash. It is not depeneded on browser.

--
Igor Sysoev
http://sysoev.ru/en/