SSL Strangeness

Curtis Spencer thorin at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 00:17:03 MSK 2007

I have been able to recreate the httperf issue on my dev server and on
my production server:  both running 0.5.33 and 4 mongrels behind the
nginx.
On the dev server I have 2 work processes with 1024 worker connections
and 6 x 1024 on the production

nginx eats almost no cpu whatsoever during the test, which lends me to
believe it is partially a client issue when interacting with ssl.

httperf is able to perform fast for the first few ssl tests, but then
on subsequent it still goes down to 0.1 req/s.  I restart nginx on the
server box and the slowness persists with httperf.

Also, using the ssl_session_cache didn't make a difference on either machine.

Any other ideas?

Also here is some info about my SSL setup.  One of the pems is a self
signed cert and the other is a verisign, both created with openssl.

$ openssl engine -t
(dynamic) Dynamic engine loading support
     [ unavailable ]
$ openssl ciphers
DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA:DHE-DSS-AES256-SHA:AES256-SHA:EDH-RSA-DES-CBC3-SHA:EDH-DSS-DES-CBC3-SHA:DES-CBC3-SHA:DES-CBC3-MD5:DHE-RSA-AES128-SHA:DHE-DSS-AES128-SHA:AES128-SHA:IDEA-CBC-SHA:IDEA-CBC-MD5:RC2-CBC-MD5:RC4-SHA:RC4-MD5:RC4-MD5:EDH-RSA-DES-CBC-SHA:EDH-DSS-DES-CBC-SHA:DES-CBC-SHA:DES-CBC-MD5:EXP-EDH-RSA-DES-CBC-SHA:EXP-EDH-DSS-DES-CBC-SHA:EXP-DES-CBC-SHA:EXP-RC2-CBC-MD5:EXP-RC2-CBC-MD5:EXP-RC4-MD5:EXP-RC4-MD5

-Curtis