remote_user and remote_password for custom http authentication?

Jed Schmidt tr at
Sun Oct 14 20:07:03 MSD 2007

Thanks for that reference. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but when I
access a URL in the $user:$password at format, and then try
to access the $http_authorization variable in an SSI or in a rewrite
rule, it returns nothing. In other words, let's say I have the
following rule:

location = /auth {
	rewrite		(.*)$http_authorization;

and then access If the username and
password were accessible, wouldn't I be forwarded to Right now I'm being forwarded to instead.

Thanks again for your help,