Proxy streaming issues

Anton anton at
Tue Oct 23 01:40:28 MSD 2007

Just to add I've turned on the logs for warn instead of crit and now I'm
seeing lots of errors that say:

(110: Connection timed out) while connecting to upstream, client

2589 recv() failed (104: Connection reset by peer) while reading response
header from upstream, client

Any ideas?

From: owner-nginx at [mailto:owner-nginx at] On Behalf Of
Sent: 22 October 2007 21:28
To: nginx at
Subject: Proxy streaming issues

I have nginx set up on 4 servers for a video streaming project but I have
drop out issues.

 Server A is a simple proxy server that passes through the requests to the
backend box server B which holds the content.

 Server C is another proxy that passes through requests to Server D which
houses the html, sql, php.

So while a user is on a page they video is passed to them from Server B
through Server A. The problem I have is that there have been reports of the
stream being cut after say 20 minutes or so (this time varies) and therefore
stopping the viewing of the video. I have experimented with different
settings but am having real difficulty finding anything that solves this
problem. Here is my proxy conf file:

user  nginx nginx;

worker_processes  2;

pid        logs/;

error_log  logs/error.log warn;

events { worker_connections 1024; }

http {

    include       conf/mime.types;

    default_type  application/octet-stream;

    sendfile       on;

    tcp_nopush     on;

    tcp_nodelay    on;

    limit_zone    one  $binary_remote_addr  10m;

        server {

        limit_conn   one  2;

        location / {

            proxy_redirect     off;

            proxy_buffering off;

            proxy_set_header   Host             $host;

            proxy_set_header   X-Real-IP        $remote_addr;

            proxy_set_header   X-Forwarded-For  $proxy_add_x_forwarded_for;

#           client_max_body_size       10m;

#           proxy_connect_timeout      90;

#           proxy_send_timeout         90;

#           proxy_read_timeout         90;

#           proxy_temp_file_write_size 64k;

I would be most grateful any pointers anyone could give me. There is 100mbit
constant passing through this proxy btw.

Kind regards.