php and locations with regex (round 2)

Alejandro Vartabedian lists at webservice.com.uy
Tue Oct 23 21:56:12 MSD 2007

Igor Sysoev escribió:
> On Tue, Oct 23, 2007 at 02:26:10PM -0200, Alejandro Vartabedian wrote:
>

>> ;-) i tried something like this before posting the last mail, but i
>> think this mixture is out of context (somebody correct me please), it's
>> a rewrite module directive, and fastcgi params doesn't fit in it (yet ;).
>>
>> i think i'm out of luck with the simplification/generalization of the
>> config directives i pretend.
>>
>> thank you all, i'm learning a lot about nginx...
>>

> You may use:
>
>       location ~ \.php$ {
>           fastcgi_pass   ...
>       }
>
>       location ~ ^/(app1|app2)/ {
>           root    ...
>       }

Igor, you'll not trust me, but i remember to have proven something like
these, i think in the config test madness i missed something or didn't
cleared the browser cache correctly and discarded those settings.
it seems to work ok!
> It's better do not use "if".

what about conditioned rewrite rules application, the same advice?
> Try to route request via locations only.
> If you want to pass non-existent files to FastCGI/proxy it's better to use:
>
>       location / {
>           root   ...
>           error_page 404  =  @fallback;
>       }
>
>       location @fallback {
>           fastcgi_pass   ...
>       }

those are very elegant and powerful options to remember for other things.
question: is the return directive (from rewite module) applicable in
this behavior to trigger @fallback?

thanks for all.