startup config check weirdness

Fabio Coatti cova at ferrara.linux.it
Tue Sep 11 18:32:03 MSD 2007

Hi all,
we noticed a weird behaviour during a nginx restart.
Basically, the config file was not ok: the "events" section was missing.
the "pre-flight" config check returned "1" as exit errorlevel, but it also
printed the message that the syntax was ok.
We spent some time trying to figure what's happening, and we find the
errorelevel "1" only using the startup script provided by gentoo, otherwise
the normal command line check would have given us wrong indication (syntax
ok).

The error log is pretty informative:
2007/09/11 12:27:53 [emerg] 28976#0: no "events" section in configuration

Is this the expected behaviour or it's better that the configuration test will
fail with some error, instead of a "syntax OK"
(strictly speaking, the syntax was correct, it was a missing section causing
problems :) )

--
Fabio "Cova" Coatti    http://members.ferrara.linux.it/cova
Ferrara Linux Users Group           http://ferrara.linux.it