config file for only static files.

Amer Shah amerrahman at gmail.com
Sun Apr 6 02:41:16 MSD 2008

Okay I've crossed 4000 (consistently between 4100 and 4200) now but I had a
couple of questions.

First of all, I'm using
nginx-0.6.29.tar.gz<http://sysoev.ru/nginx/nginx-0.6.29.tar.gz>from
http://sysoev.ru/nginx/download.html .. I build it from source. I don't
understand the Russian on that site but it seems to me
that this is a developement version? Is this stable to use in production?

Secondly I noticed something strange with gzip_static on. If I have this in
my conf and I have a file indexd12.htm as well as indexd12.htm.gz in the
root then even though I have
indexd12.htm.gz it still picks up indexd12.htm .. However when I delete
indexd12.htm , then the server rightly sends back indexdh1.htm.gz ..
According to http://wiki.codemongers.com/NginxHttpGzipStaticModule,
the server should be sending back indexd12.htm.gz even if there is an
indexd12.htm in the directory. Any thoughts?

rkmr.em, this is my final config file (I also bumped up max allowed file
descriptors in freebsd kernel):

worker_processes  5;
timer_resolution 100ms;

events {
    worker_connections  1500;
}

http {
    include       mime.types;
    default_type  application/octet-stream;

    sendfile        on;
    tcp_nopush     on;

    keepalive_timeout  65;

    gzip_static on;

    gzip_http_version   1.1;
    gzip_proxied        expired no-cache no-store private auth;
    gzip_disable        "MSIE [1-6]\.";
    gzip_vary           on;

   open_file_cache          max=10000  inactive=20s;
   open_file_cache_valid    30s;
   open_file_cache_min_uses 2;
   open_file_cache_errors   on;

     server {