XSLT & hello

Chris Farmiloe chris at oxdi.eu
Tue Apr 8 13:39:03 MSD 2008

The main benifit I'm after is being able to decide from the nginx.conf
something like this (pseudo):

if($user_agent is unable_to_perform_xslt){
   xslt on;
}

This would allow me to offload the majority of the XSLT processing
client-side, but still support some of the older browsers, text-only,
screen readers etc.

I'm also a fan of a complete separation from application level code...
although XSL is about presentation, XSLT is simply the process of
conversion and unlikely to need modifying.

I see you're point about converting between random formats, but if you
think about it... YES... if there was an XSLT module you could handle
almost any output you could create with XSL. and maybe even override
the style-sheet to use ie..

location ~* .csv$ {
  xslt on;
  xslt_stylesheet /xsl/csv.xsl;
}

It could allow you to create application servers that only talk one
language (XML) while allowing you to still build REST style services
that respond to multiple content types.

chrisfarms.