How to get ssl to work without adding port 413

Maxime Pelletier pelletiermaxime at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 09:56:19 MSD 2008

I have been trying to get ssl to work like I want it for a few hours without
success. The problem is that https://localhost:413/index.php works but not
https://localhost/index.php. Firefox can't establish a connection to the server
at localhost. Looked everywhere on the net and everyone just says to put the
listen 413 and it works, but not for me it seems :X.

nginx version: nginx/0.6.29
OpenSSL 0.9.8g
On gentoo.

My config :

user nginx nginx;
worker_processes 1;

error_log /var/log/nginx/error_log info;

events {
        worker_connections  512;
        use epoll;
}

http {
        include         /etc/nginx/mime.types;
        default_type    application/octet-stream;

        log_format main
                '$remote_addr - $remote_user [$time_local] '
                '"$request" $status $bytes_sent '
                '"$http_referer" "$http_user_agent" '
                '"$gzip_ratio"';

        client_header_timeout   10m;
        client_body_timeout     10m;
        send_timeout            10m;

        connection_pool_size            256;
        client_header_buffer_size       1k;
        large_client_header_buffers     4 2k;
        request_pool_size               4k;

        gzip on;
        gzip_min_length 1100;
        gzip_buffers    4 8k;
        gzip_types      text/plain;

        output_buffers  1 32k;
        postpone_output 1460;

        sendfile        on;
        tcp_nopush      on;
        tcp_nodelay     on;

        keepalive_timeout       75 20;

        ignore_invalid_headers  on;

        index index.html;

        ##ssl portion
        server {
                listen          413;
                server_name     localhost;

                ssl on;
                ssl_certificate         /etc/nginx/nginx.pem;
                ssl_certificate_key     /etc/nginx/nginx.key;

                access_log      /var/log/nginx/localhost.ssl_access_log main;
                error_log       /var/log/nginx/localhost.ssl_error_log info;

                keepalive_timeout    70;

                root /home/mysite;
                location ~ \.php$ {
                        include /etc/nginx/fastcgi_params;