Static file benchmarks

Cliff Wells cliff at develix.com
Tue Apr 22 03:16:08 MSD 2008

On Mon, 2008-04-21 at 12:08 -0700, Cocoa Guy wrote:

> I appreciate everyone's willingness to help so far, but with so much
> talk about nginx's performance, I would have thought there would be
> more concrete information as to the reasons for nginx's performance.

You continue to assume you are measuring Nginx's performance, but
performance is only relative (10k requests on machine A doesn't mean 10k
requests is achievable on machine B).  You can only say that Nginx is x
times as fast as Apache (or other server) on the same hardware.

As others have mentioned, you are probably measuring EC2's performance
(or more to the point, hitting some EC2 bottleneck), not Nginx's.  Try
Apache, show how it's faster than Nginx *in the same environment*, then
we would know whether your questions should be directed here or to EC2
support.  It's quite probable EC2 intentionally throttles I/O at some
level.  It's also quite possible EC2 has anti-DoS measures which you may
be triggering with your tests.

Regards,
Cliff