nginx performance/preference - FreeBSD 7 or Linux 2.6.x (both 64-bit?)

Sergej Kandyla sk.paix at
Fri Apr 25 16:21:01 MSD 2008

mike wrote:
> Currently I have nginx running PHP/fastcgi and normal static content
> on a quad-core xeon 3220 w/ 4 gig ram.
> I am looking at moving this to a dual-core xeon 3060 with 2 gig ram.
> Would FreeBSD 7 (or 6, I suppose) be better than Linux for this? Each
> server (there are 3) gets approx 33% of a few million HTTP requests
> per day (1-2 million are PHP/fastcgi)
> Thanks :)
I think FreeBSD would better, because nginx is developed with FreeBSD in
mind :)
sure, you should prefer OS that you better know.  There are very busy
servers with both  freebsd and linux.

Wbr, SK