A hardware question

Manlio Perillo manlio_perillo at libero.it
Wed Apr 30 12:12:07 MSD 2008

mike ha scritto:

 > [talking about a MogileFS module for Nginx]

> I think it would be something worthwhile myself.
>
> Just needs parameters - the tracker database info, and the domain
> right? Then you just use the domain + key to get the file. Maybe
> domain isn't even required.
>
> However, wouldn't you need some sort of logic to determine how to
> create the key?
>
> Some people use an md5 of the URI I guess, so it would be something like
>
> foo.com/media/abc72849482bc8398af98effd9g843
>
> /media/ would be mapped to something like
>

 > [...]

I think that the better solution is to extend the nginx upstream module
so that the list of backend servers (address, port and weight) can be
obtained at request runtime, and not only at configuration time.

This means that a module should only implement the logic to obtain the
backends list, and all the work can be done by Nginx.

However this assumes that on every backend, the URI to the file is the
same (but this should not be a problem, if Nginx is on each node).

Regards  Manlio Perillo