Memcached module -- unix domain socket support? (too many TIME_WAITs..)

Kon Wilms konfoo at gmail.com
Fri Aug 1 10:47:32 MSD 2008

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 10:43 PM, Igor Sysoev <is at rambler-co.ru> wrote:
> Adding unix socket support to ngx_http_memcached_module should be easy,
> but I'm not sure if memcached suppot unix sockets.

It does. Use for the memcached config:
-s <file>     unix socket path to listen on (disables network support)

> BTW why do you serve local images from memcached ?
> It's better for both CPU and memory to serve them from local filesystem
> using sendfile.

The images are coming from webcameras as motion JPEG, so each image is
updated 5 times a second on average. The same image is updated in
memcached, and fed to a flash player. Memcached is the most efficient
way to serve these without writing a custom streaming backend. Writing
to disk is definitely not an option.

Cheers
Kon