tarpit, anybody?

Calomel nginxdeletethis at calomel.org
Fri Aug 1 17:18:29 MSD 2008

Jeffery,

I am not sure if Nginx is the right place for a tarpit. Tarpitting on
the firewall may be a better solution so nginx can just handle web
traffic.

Iptables allows you to tarpit connections easily, but you will have to
manage a table of clients you want to slow down. The following rule
will tarpit all connections to port 80.

iptables -A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 80 -j TARPIT

PF (openbsd) does not yet have a tarpit ability for standard tcp
connections. Spamd will only work to tarpit mail servers.

There are also third party apps like LeBrea or HoneyPot that will do
what you want.

--
  Calomel @ https://calomel.org
  Open Source Research and Reference