TIME_WAITs and sustained connections was: Re: Memcached module -- unix domain socket support? (too man

Kon Wilms konfoo at gmail.com
Fri Aug 8 10:01:30 MSD 2008

On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 11:03 AM, Chavelle Vincent <lists at ruby-forum.com> wrote:
> Kon Wilms wrote:
>> I have a pool of memcached servers running on localhost with
>> connection to nginx, feeding motion jpeg data out via static JPEGs to
>> a flash application. The load is pretty high on the server because of
>> this with each client running 3 GETs from memcached every second (i.e.
>> 3fps).
>> Cheers
>> Kon
> How do you think about use ncache module instead of memcached ? I'm
> definitly not an expert but when I read your post, it's the idea that I
> have had.

>From what I read ncache works by caching items from disk into memory.
The problem I have is that the media is changing every 250ms.

Anyway an update, I have tweaked the kernel IPV4 parameters and even
though I have at times 23,000 TIME_WAITs, they are now being recycled.
The server is sustaining about 50Mbits of traffic going through
memcached->nginx. My connection count hovers around 220 when using
nginx_stats module. Is this the norm? I am wondering if I have an
artificial bottleneck somewhere?

Looking more into the unix domain sockets I am not sure if this would
be the most pertinent solution to the problem. I noticed there was
some talk on persistent connections to upstream servers -- is this
planned for memcached (I am using this model on the app server side to
feed memcached and it is working great)?