nginx-0.7.9

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Wed Aug 13 02:06:45 MSD 2008

Hello!

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 09:30:28PM +0400, Igor Sysoev wrote:

>On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 09:47:15AM -0700, mike wrote:
>
>> Did Maxim's index patch get in there? to cycle through all the index
>> files before going to a directory scan?
>
>No, I need think over.

Some random thoughts about:

- Many index files is rare setup.  Setups I've seen usually have at
most 3, more often 1 or 2.  In case of 2 index'es as far as I
understand it doesn't make sence to test directory at all - for
performance reasons.

- Situation where something under root closed by unix permissions
from nginx is rare.  And this may be optimized by adding appropriate
location{} to nginx config.

- Situation where directory listing is forbidden (i.e. 711
permissions) may make sence in shared environments.

- Optimization is good, but only if doesn't change expected
behaviour.

 From the above I think that fallback to sequential index tests in
case of EACCES returned for directory test is good or at least
acceptable solution.

Am I missed something?