Recently seeing a bunch of 400s

Igor Sysoev is at rambler-co.ru
Tue Dec 16 11:30:55 MSK 2008

On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 01:55:53AM -0500, Dave Cheney wrote:

> 499 is nginx's error code for 'client closed connection without receiving
> the whole body', that is, they pressed the stop button on their browser, or
> navigated away. It's generally harmless
>
> If you see this pattern
>
> client --> SYN     --> nginx
> client <-- SYN/ACK <-- nginx
> client --> SYN/ACK --> nginx
> client --> FIN     --> nginx
>
> then nginx will have accepted the connection and you will get a 400 in the
> access log

No, according to src/http/ngx_http_request.h:

/*
 * HTTP does not define the code for the case when a client closed
 * the connection while we are processing its request so we introduce
 * own code to log such situation when a client has closed the connection
 * before we even try to send the HTTP header to it
 */
#define NGX_HTTP_CLIENT_CLOSED_REQUEST     499

So, the above pattern will result in 400, if nginx has catched to accept()
before FIN has been received or in this error: "accept() failed (53: Software
caused connection abort) while accepting new connection on 0.0.0.0:80",
if nginx has called accept after FIN has been received.

499 means that nginx has got a whole request, but did not send anything
to client.

--
Igor Sysoev
http://sysoev.ru/en/