how to ensure 5xx pages served by nginx dont get cached by users?

Dave Cheney dave at cheney.net
Sat Dec 20 01:59:58 MSK 2008

Hi,

Are you sure its nginx that is returning the 50x page, and not the
application behind it? The rails failsafe error handler returns a 200
status code with some body text that looks like a 503 page.

If it was a real 503 error page (with a 503 status code) then it will
_not_ be cacheable as 50x error codes are not cacheable by the browser
or intermediary proxies.

Cheers

Dave