how can i quickly handle alternate config for site downtime?

Ezra Zygmuntowicz ezmobius at gmail.com
Sun Dec 28 22:58:02 MSK 2008

On Dec 28, 2008, at 9:23 AM, Jonathan Vanasco wrote:

> On Dec 26, 2008, at 4:59 PM, Corey Donohoe wrote:
>
>> Is this other config file pointing tosome kind of status page that
>> says "findmeon.com is down right now!" or something similar?  If it
>> is, you prolly wanna investigate maintenance pages and have them
>> return 503s during the downtime.
>>
>> http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/141251
>
> hmm....  that could work.
>
> would you be able to share those 2 snippets you listed as a pastie
> again ?  they expired ( as did your old link at http://forum.engineyard.com/forums/3/topics/22
>  )
>
> also - just to be sure about this... you're triggering a downtime
> response just by a file-existence check, right?

Jonathan-

	Yeah we are triggering a maintenance page via the existance of a
file. Here is how it looks in the config file.

# Rewrite all the requests to the maintenance.html page if it exists.
if (-f $document_root/system/maintenance.html) {
   return 503;
}

error_page 503 @503;
location @503 {
   rewrite  ^(.*)$  /system/maintenance.html break;
}

	This means that if $document_root/system/maintenance.html exists,
then only serve that file and nothing else for every request.

Cheers-
Ezra Zygmuntowicz
ez at engineyard.com