Simplifying the software stack - any reason CGI can't be implemented into nginx?

Grzegorz Nosek grzegorz.nosek at gmail.com
Tue Dec 30 13:55:54 MSK 2008

On pon, gru 29, 2008 at 03:12:25 -0800, mike wrote:
> Perhaps the way standard CGI programs run (compiled CGI, especially
> Perl, etc.) is not compatible with how nginx does it's request
> processing, but couldn't someone get a CGI module created for nginx so
> things like Apache don't have to be used for Perl (or other CGI-based)
> apps?

http://nginx.localdomain.pl/wiki/FcgiWrap

I took the liberty of adding it to the wiki page at:

http://wiki.codemongers.com/NginxSimpleCGI

> I would love to get Apache out of the mix.
>
> Or, some sort of php-fpm type FastCGI daemon thing that will handle
> CGI requests without requiring modification of the code? (I know there
> is some FCGI.pm thing, but that requires modifications to the code,
> right? I'd want it to be seamless)

With fcgiwrap you need to start it somehow (e.g. using spawn-fcgi or a
simple Perl script from my website) but it's basically fire and forget
and needs no modification of existing scripts.

Best regards,
 Grzegorz Nosek