Custom 503 Error Page

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Sun Feb 3 06:15:39 MSK 2008

Hello!

On Sun, Feb 03, 2008 at 10:47:39AM +0800, Eden Li wrote:

> Hmm... that doesn't seem to work either.  Is it possible that `return xxx;`
> always generates the internal response?
>
> The only thing that would achieve the desired result in this case is
> proxying to some blackhole which would cause the 503 to be caught and
> rewritten according to the error_page directive.

Oops. Sorry, I missed. The real problem is that with suggested
configuration (i.e. always return 503 at server level) there
is no way to reach /system/maintenance.html file for nginx.

So, it tries to get /system/maintenance.html for error body, and
gets yet another 503. So it has to return hardcoded content.

The only solution is to allow nginx to access
/system/maintenance.html somehow. Something like this:

     error_page 503 /system/maintenance.html;

     location / {
             return 503;

     location /system/maintenance.html {
         # allow requests here - do not return 503
     }

The if{} block should be in all locations where access should be
disallowed, but not for /system/maintenance.html itself.

Maxim Dounin