Fair Proxy Balancer

Ezra Zygmuntowicz ezmobius at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 23:01:18 MSK 2008

On Feb 6, 2008, at 10:44 AM, David Pratt wrote:

> Hi. Both haproxy and lvs have setups that are more involved for
> sure. haproxy 1.3 has more balancing algorithms than 1.2. I have
> seen patches that provide least connection balancing for 1.2 also.
> lvs is what I believe to be 'the' mainstream balancer but needs to
> be compiled into the linux kernel - it as not as portable and simple
> as incorporating the fair proxy balancer as a result. Interested in
> Rob's experience to determine no of servers. Many thanks Grzegorz.
>
> Regards,
> David

Hey David-

	We're running the fair balancer on about 100 servers with good
success. We had some issues with the fair balancer in lower load
situations only sending requests to the first backend instead of doing
a round robin when under lower load, this was causing the single
backend to become overloaded. The latest version Grzegorz has just
pushed to his git repo works much better in all the situations we have
put it under.

	We run LVS at the edge of our clusters and have LVS balance to nginx
on each VM with nginx doing fair balancing directly to the mongrels
and it is working great. Much fewer moving parts then throwing haproxy
in the mix. In my benchmarks having haproxy between nginx and the
mongrels was s lower since there was one more level of indirection. So
having nginx serving static content and fair balancing to the backends
is ideal for us.

Cheers-
- Ezra Zygmuntowicz
-- Founder & Software Architect