response times and network io

Igor Sysoev is at rambler-co.ru
Fri Feb 29 19:38:36 MSK 2008

On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 08:24:24PM -0600, Joe Williams wrote:

> please excuse my typo. regarding network I/O nginx uses consistently
> lower I/O than apache.
>
> regardless i am curious about how it processes requests differently to
> obtain lower response times and network I/O.

How do you measure network I/O ?

In short, Apache and nginx use different model for processing requests.
Apache processes connection in one process or thread while nginx processes
thousand connections in one process/thread using scaleable methods such
as kqueue/epoll/etc.

--
Igor Sysoev
http://sysoev.ru/en/