Upstream Timed Out Errors

Marcin Kasperski Marcin.Kasperski at
Fri Jan 4 14:24:13 MSK 2008

>> upstream timed out (110: Connection timed out) while connecting to upstream

Your upstream (backend) simply and just does not cope with a load.
The problem is there, not in nginx.

You may make nginx waiting longer, add sth like

    fastcgi_read_timeout 180;

to your config (default is 60 seconds). Especially do it in case
you have long-lasting operations which may normally take so long.

And consider backend tuning. Maybe you need more fastcgi processess,
maybe some database look, maybe more iron....