Nginx reverse proxy with IP-Based vhosts apache

propanbutan propanbutan at gmx.net
Fri Jan 18 22:56:48 MSK 2008

"Jamie Quint" wrote:
> If I use apache's name based virtual hosts everything works out great,
> however if I use IP based virtual hosts, apache does not direct to
> the right virtual host, instead just defaulting to the main Document
> Root. I can't seem to find an answer on Google anywhere, so any
> feedback is greatly appreciated (relevant part of nginx.conf below).

Hi,
for name based virtual hosts, a web server uses the request Host header
to decide which virtual host to dispatch to.
When you use IP based virtual hosts, you need to set them up to listen
on different ports and/or ip addresses. If you don't, apache has no way
of knowing which virtual host is the right one, just like you describe.