The connection was reset

Douglas Stanley doug at technologixllc.com
Sat Jan 26 03:45:25 MSK 2008

Well, the type of request is just whatever firefox sends by default (I'm
assuming GET), I don't know for sure because nginx never logs anything
when this happens.

The relevant portion of my configs is:

#nginx.conf
user www-data;
worker_processes  4;

error_log  /var/log/nginx/error.log debug;
pid        /var/run/nginx.pid;

events {
    worker_connections  2048;
}

http {
    include       /etc/nginx/mime.types;
    default_type  application/octet-stream;

    access_log  /var/log/nginx/access.log;

    sendfile        on;
    tcp_nopush     on;

    #keepalive_timeout  0;
    keepalive_timeout  65;
    tcp_nodelay        on;

    #gzip  on;

    include /etc/nginx/sites-enabled/*;

}

#Then here's the config for the domain in question (I changed the domain
#name to example.com though.
#Config for example.com

server {
        listen   80;
        server_name  example.com www.example.com beta.example.com;

        access_log  /var/log/nginx/example.access.log;

        location / {
                root   /home/customers/example;
                index  index.html;
        }
        location /linkpics/ {
                alias /home/customers/example/linkpics/;
                autoindex on;
        }

        #error_page  404  /404.html;

        # pass the PHP scripts to FastCGI server listening on 127.0.0.1:9000
        #
        location ~ \.php$ {
                fastcgi_pass   10.128.224.13:8888;
                fastcgi_index  index.php;
                fastcgi_param  SCRIPT_FILENAME
/home/customers/example$fastcg
i_script_name;
                include /etc/nginx/fastcgi_params;
        }

        # deny access to .htaccess files, if Apache's document root
        # concurs with nginx's one
        #
        location ~ /\.ht {
                deny  all;

There's not much there. On that domain, I'm not proxying, just serving
static html and a 2mb flash file. One other domain, I'm doing fastcgi
to another server and it gets the same message in firefox but it happens
more often to that one (it sits and does auto refresh ever 5 min, so
probably only happens more cause it's constantly refreshing).

Part of me thinks it might be a firewall problem or other networking
thing since nginx doesn't even log that a connection occurs when it
happens, but I have other servers on the same lan with the same firewall
out front and I've never seen this with them (one's apache and ones
lighttpd). So I don't know. Mainly I was hoping someone out there has
come across the same problem, or maybe it was a known bug or something.

I really appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Doug