[nginx] Running Mercurial using Nginx as http server

Adrian Perez adrianperez at udc.es
Mon Jan 28 04:30:06 MSK 2008

El Sat, 26 Jan 2008 11:14:55 -0800
Cliff Wells <cliff at develix.com> escribió:

> On Sat, 2008-01-26 at 18:27 +0100, Thomas wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am having some troubles getting Mercurial (the distributed Version
> > Control System) to work with nginx. It uses a cgi script (hgweb.cgi)
> > to launch mercurial which is a python program.
>
> [...]
>
> I'd recommend not using CGI.   There are other ways to deploy
> Mercurial (as a quick Google search will tell you).

I would go for mod_wsgi. There is a wiki page which show how to set-up
Apache (http://www.selenic.com/mercurial/wiki/index.cgi/mod_wsgi), and
I has been able of setting up a test repository served with Nginx using
Manlio Perillo's mod_wsgi for Nginx.

First, do some version control with Mercurial:

  $ mkdir /tmp/hg-test && cd /tmp/hg-test && hg-init
  $ echo 'Hello world' > readme.txt
  $ hg add readme.txt && hg ci -m'Test commit'

Cast some magic words in the Nginx configuration file:

  include wsgi_vars
  location / {
    wsgi_pass /tmp/hg-test.wsgi;
  }

Create /tmp/hg-test.wsgi with the following contents:

  from mercurial.hgweb.hgwebdir_mod import hgwebdir
  from mercurial.hgweb.request import wsgiapplication
  application = wsgiapplication(lambda:hgwebdir("/tmp/hgwebdir.config"))

Finally, create /tmp/hgwebdir.config, contents should look like the
following:

  [web]
  style = gitweb
  [collections]
  /tmp = /tmp

(Re)Start Nginx and point your browser to the webserver... hgweb should
appear in front of you :D

Of course, you should adjust paths to your particular setup, I
used /tmp for testing, but it is *not* a safe setting!

Regards,

-Adrian

--
All dwarfs have beards and wear up to twelve layers of clothing.
Gender is more or less optional.