static web server config improvements

eliott eliott at cactuswax.net
Tue Jan 29 06:21:31 MSK 2008

On 1/28/08, rkmr.em at gmail.com <rkmr.em at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 28, 2008 10:59 AM, eliott <eliott at cactuswax.net> wrote:
>

> > On 1/28/08, rkmr.em at gmail.com <rkmr.em at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > this is my config for a web server that does only static files mostly
> gifs,
> > > pngs and jpgs.. is there any improvement i can do in this like is there
> some
> > > sort of caching that can be enabled? or any other improvements that can
> be
> > > done to this..

> > > #user  mark;
> > > worker_processes  1;
> > > error_log  logs/error_staticfarm.log;
> > >
> > > pid        logs/nginx_staticfarm.pid;
> > > events {
> > >     worker_connections  1024;
> > >  }
> > >
> > > http {
> > >     include       mime.types;
> > >     default_type  application/octet-stream;
> > >
> > >     #access_log  logs/access_staticfarm.log;
> > >
> > >     sendfile        on;
> > >     #tcp_nopush     on;
> > >
> > >     keepalive_timeout  0;
> > >      #keepalive_timeout  10;
> > >
> > >     gzip  on;
> > >     server {
> > >         listen       6080;
> > >         server_name  localhost;
> > >         #access_log  logs/host.access.log  main;
> > >         location /nginx_status {
> > >              stub_status on;
> > >             access_log   off;
> > >         }
> > >         location /static{
> > >             root   /home/mark/staticfarm/;
> > >             access_log   off;
> > >         }
> > >     }
> > > }
> > >

> > If you have more than one cpu, you could up the worker_processes to
> > match the number of cpus you have. Depends on the traffic load you are
>

> is this number of cpus or number of cores? if I have two quad cores,
> worker_process = 8
>
> is this right?

If the server is only serving the media files, then yea. In fact, you
could probably bump it slightly over the number of cores you have, so
that any processes waiting for IO can get some processing time in for
request handling (header parsing etc).

If that box is doing other things, then adjust accordingly for
whatever else is running.