what a worker does?

Michael nginx at thismetalsky.org
Tue Jul 1 02:29:48 MSD 2008

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 17:31:42, Paul said...

> Well that's what I consider multithreaded I guess.. It doesn't use any more
> processes or scheduling time to handle multiple connections where as apache
> is multi process.. I guess i consider multithreaded the ability to handle
> multiple instances within the same process without creating new processes
> (having 50000 open connections to the same process wether it's network,
> disk, etc).   Maybe that is the wrong word to use..

Yes, it's definitely the wrong word.  Threads are very specific things, and
"multithreaded" refers to them, not to a generic methodology.

You can use a few methods in a single process to handle multiple connections,
threads and async I/O (what Nginx does) are completely different ways to do
this.

--
Michael Stella  |  IT Systems Architect
PGP: 1024D/BC3FF6D4 2BC2 A79B 88D1 218A B32B  ED7A 2EC2 1206 BC3F F6D4