nginx + .cgi/perl scripts...

Cliff Wells cliff at develix.com
Wed Jul 2 04:18:33 MSD 2008

On Tue, 2008-07-01 at 16:56 -0700, mike wrote:
> Maybe I should re-iterate this:
>
> I would prefer not to have FastCGI needed. So - is there a simple way
> to get nginx to execute .cgi / .pl / etc perl scripts itself? or some
> easy hack like that?

No, and Igor has made it clear there are no plans to add CGI support to
Nginx.

The preferred solutions would be (in order):

1) Don't use CGI.  It's inefficient and outdated.  If you can, rewrite
your scripts to use FastCGI.
2) Proxy to a simple http server such as thttpd to serve up CGI scripts.
3) Use the FastCGI wrapper provided on the wiki (perhaps provide a patch
if it's inadequate in some way).  Ultimately this is your "easy hack".

Here's some links that you might find useful:

http://www.acme.com/software/thttpd/
http://search.cpan.org/~jesse/HTTP-Server-Simple-0.34/lib/HTTP/Server/Simple.pm
http://i1.dk/download/ihttpd/

Cliff