using geo-like functionality on another variable

James Van zoeren lists at ruby-forum.com
Tue Jul 8 02:25:41 MSD 2008

I'd like to be able to do something like:

# grab variable from arguments
if ($args ~ "ip=([0-9.]+)&") {
   set $iparg $1;
}
# set country based on variable
map $iparg $country  {
   default international;
   192.168.0.0/16 us;
}

where I could use geo-like functionality on another variable besides
$remote_addr.

Or I'd like to be able to pass another variable to geo, like:

# grab variable from arguments
if ($args ~ "ip=([0-9.]+)&") {
   set $iparg $1;
}
# set country based on variable
geo $iparg $country {
   default international;
   192.168.0.0/16 us;
}

Is there any way to do this?  I tried setting $remote_addr to another
value, and got an error.  I could script the generation of the mapping
of each ip to a different line in a file for use inside a map directive,
but I wanted to see if there's an easier, more direct way.

Thanks!