upstream and address resolution

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Sun Jul 20 23:43:59 MSD 2008

Hello!

On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 06:51:14PM +0200, Manlio Perillo wrote:

> On a server using Nginx 0.5.x I have noted that, when one of the
> upstream servers changed the IP address, the old address was still used.
>

> I have restarted Nginx and solved the problem, but I'm not sure to
> understand what happened.

Nginx does name resolution only at startup/reconfiguration (unless
you use variables in proxy_pass, as introduced in 0.6.18, but it's
very special case).

I'm not sure if it's documented somewhere, but it's how it works
since creation.  I don't think this will be ever changed - since
you generally don't want to stress your DNS subsystem (and depend
on it) under high load.  Just don't forget kill -HUP when you
change ip's.