Invalidate cache for static files?

Maxim Dounin mdounin at
Mon Jul 21 18:10:34 MSD 2008

On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 01:57:06PM +0100, Phillip B Oldham wrote:

> What would be the simplest way to invalidate browser cache of static
> files served by nginx?
> For instance, we have a website which is in active development. We get a
> reasonable amount of traffic, but we often get complaints when we update
> the live files because some browsers are working with a mix of fresh
> (live) and stale (cached) js/css files. We'd like to inform/force
> browsers that the file is new and should be updated.

Just use normal web development practices, e.g. add "?v=<version>"
to js/css urls.  Nothing special, nginx is just web server.

Alternatively you may force nginx to disable cache for specific
urls via expires directive, see  But
this is probably not what you want since this will:

     a) Disable cache for all requests, not only when something
get's changed on server.
     b) Sometimes ignored by browsers.

Maxim Dounin