Basic HTTP Authentication & PHP-FastCGI

Igor Clark igor at pokelondon.com
Wed Jul 23 14:14:34 MSD 2008

On 23 Jul 2008, at 10:58, Phillip B Oldham wrote:

> Igor Clark wrote:
>> On 23 Jul 2008, at 10:27, Phillip B Oldham wrote:
>>> Yep, just like that.
>>
>> I could be wrong but I think that this only happens once Apache has
>> already done the authorisation and granted access to the resource.
> Not necessarily. If you connect to the resource using http://user:pass@domain.com
>  those variables are accessible. Authorisation happens within PHP.

Ah, OK. Prepending credentials to the URL simply makes the browser
send  the Authorization: header on the first request, but I see from http://php.net/features.http-auth
  that, as you say, Apache's mod_php adds PHP_AUTH_USER and
PHP_AUTH_PW to PHP's $_SERVER array whenever the Authorization header
is presented, whether originating from Apache or PHP. Gotcha.

--
Igor Clark • POKE • 10 Redchurch Street • E2 7DD • +44 (0)20 7749 5355
• www.pokelondon.com