gzip_static & fascgi

Mikel Arteta lists at ruby-forum.com
Fri Jul 25 06:25:51 MSD 2008

I help me google for translation, and yes, always french:)

I use the module "gzip" with a level 9, as some files are compiled php
700 KB, and they rarely change, and are types:

/page/fiche_produit.php?id_prod=221 (643.80 Kbytes according xcache)
/page/fiche_produit.php?id_prod=227  //

I am therefore interested in the module "gzip_static" I have half a
place like this:

location ^~ /page/ {
    gzip  on;
    gzip_static on;
    gzip_comp_level 9;
    gzip_http_version 1.1;
    gzip_min_length  2500;
    gzip_proxied any;
    gzip_types text/plain text/html text/xml text/css
application/x-javascript  application/xml application/rss+xml
    gzip_disable     "MSIE [1-6]\.";
    fastcgi_param  SCRIPT_FILENAME
    include    /usr/local/nginx/conf/fastcgi.conf;}

But how this unit works?

The idea that I, gzip to level 9 manufactures a gz for every
application, and then are kept so that "gzip_static" use?

Or, we should be making gz each php files, so that they are taken into
account by "gzip_static", but, no interest, because the php script
changes with the parameters (fiche_produit.php?Id_prod = 221/222/etc).

Is there another solution cache otherwise, to reduce the size of a file
php (poorly programmed :) and not zipped to every request.

I have another question:

I installed php 4.4.8 mode fpm, but I find it difficult to set the
parameter: "value = name" max_requests "equals PHP_FCGI_MAX_REQUESTS.
On the Internet, some up to 5000 or even 10 000, others talk about
memory leaks, and starts to 100 250.
What do you think?

Sorry for "my" English.