gzip_static & fascgi

Igor Sysoev is at rambler-co.ru
Fri Jul 25 09:57:18 MSD 2008

On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 04:25:51AM +0200, Mikel Arteta wrote:

> I help me google for translation, and yes, always french:)

After two years my son will start to learn French in a scholl,
so I have to learn it too :)

> I use the module "gzip" with a level 9, as some files are compiled php
> 700 KB, and they rarely change, and are types:
>
> /page/fiche_produit.php?id_prod=221 (643.80 Kbytes according xcache)
> /page/fiche_produit.php?id_prod=227  //
>
> I am therefore interested in the module "gzip_static" I have half a
> place like this:
>
> location ^~ /page/ {
>     gzip  on;
>     gzip_static on;
>     gzip_comp_level 9;
>     gzip_http_version 1.1;
>     gzip_min_length  2500;
>     gzip_proxied any;
>     gzip_types text/plain text/html text/xml text/css
> application/x-javascript  application/xml application/rss+xml
> application/atom+xml;
>     gzip_disable     "MSIE [1-6]\.";
>     fastcgi_pass   127.0.0.1:9000;
>     fastcgi_param  SCRIPT_FILENAME
> /data/www/sites/viya$fastcgi_script_name;
>     include    /usr/local/nginx/conf/fastcgi.conf;}
>
> But how this unit works?
>
> The idea that I, gzip to level 9 manufactures a gz for every
> application, and then are kept so that "gzip_static" use?
>
> Or, we should be making gz each php files, so that they are taken into
> account by "gzip_static", but, no interest, because the php script
> changes with the parameters (fiche_produit.php?Id_prod = 221/222/etc).
>
> Is there another solution cache otherwise, to reduce the size of a file
> php (poorly programmed :) and not zipped to every request.

No, gzip_static does not work in this way.
However, I'm going to add caching capabilities to fastcgi and gzip.

> I have another question:
>
> I installed php 4.4.8 mode fpm, but I find it difficult to set the
> parameter: "value = name" max_requests "equals PHP_FCGI_MAX_REQUESTS.
> On the Internet, some up to 5000 or even 10 000, others talk about
> memory leaks, and starts to 100 250.
> What do you think?

I think it depends on PHP code. However, I do not use PHP and can not say.

--
Igor Sysoev
http://sysoev.ru/en/