tell me your feature request about nginx

nginx.mailinglist nginx.mailinglist at
Fri Jun 13 12:39:21 MSD 2008

firstly i would like to say i love nginx and have recently finished moving
from lighttpd!

here is my request if possible please im currently using php and nginx for a
huge site using ~2gbit average across several dozen servers with serving
large files to thousands of people concurrently

each request goes thru php which does a bit of authentication and
concurrency control, it be nice if some of this could be shifted to nginx

currently X-Accel-Redirect  works like a charm and has resume support which
is very nice
also the X-Accel-Limit-Rate is very useful

i also pass X-Session-ID header using an id generated via php to make it
easier to parse access logs later

now the problem i have is with NginxHttpLimitZoneModule

is there any way make this more flexible like

create an extra X-Accel-Limit-Connections header

that will allow the number of connections to a certain file be set
dynamically from php

for example something like

header( 'Content-Type: '.$download['file_mime'] );
header( 'Content-Length: '.$download['file_size'] );
header( 'X-Session-ID: '.$download_key );
header( 'X-Accel-Limit-Rate: '.$download['transfer_limit'] );
header( 'X-Accel-Redirect: /_downloads/'.$download_key );

//NEW OPTION! limit connections dynamicaly
header( 'X-Accel-Limit-Connections: 4');

so the above would serve a file of certain mime and size using accel
redirect, limiting to certain speed and # connections, and using a session
id for custom loging