one directory with 500 000 files (5-8mb each)

Dan M strangepics at
Sun Jun 22 09:08:38 MSD 2008

On Sat, Jun 21, 2008 at 8:07 PM, Michael <nginx at> wrote:
> No matter which filesystem you use, with that many directory entries, it's
> going to be slow.  I'd split them up.  I've done the method using the first

How do you know it would be slow with _any_ filesystem? Did you test
all filesystems with this special case to know for sure?

I am guessing ReiserFS could do quite well - it was designed to handle
huge numbers of files. What about others? XFS? Would be interesting to
know why so many files need to be in one directory as well...