AJP Support

Igor Sysoev is at rambler-co.ru
Mon Jun 23 23:42:57 MSD 2008

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 10:33:41AM +0100, Stephen Nelson-Smith wrote:

> I currently use apache 2.2 with mod_proxy_ajp to load-balance a Java
> application running on 3 tomcat servers.
>
> I've had good results with nginx for a php and RoR site, and would be
> interested in replacing apache with nginx in this configuration.
>
> Does nginx support ajp13 connections?  Has anyone on the list done
> anything similar?

No, nginx does not support AJP, and it's difficult to add because
nginx's upstream module supports this scheme only:

      send request/body to upstream
      cycle:
          read response from upstream/send it to client

AJP' scheme:

      send request/body first part (up to 8K) to upstream
      --------
      cycle 1:
          wait for GET_BODY_CHUNK from upstream
          send body part (up to 8K) to upstream
      --------
      cycle 2:
          read response from upstream/send it to client

Thus, the cycle 1 is not supported by nginx's upstream module.

--
Igor Sysoev
http://sysoev.ru/en/