Is it possible to monitor the fair proxy balancer?

Robbie Allen lists at
Sat Jun 28 05:08:46 MSD 2008

Alexander Staubo wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 28, 2008 at 2:23 AM, Robbie Allen <lists at>
> wrote:
> Our experience is that the "fair" load balancer is unstable under
> heavy load, and tends to gradually pull upstreams out of the pool.
> This may be what you are experiencing.

> Not at the moment. If you want this kind of information, I recommend
> HAProxy. In addition to providing machine-readable per-backend stats,
> it also renders the same information as an HTML page:

Kind of a big limitation with fair if it provides ZERO instrumentation.

>> I also see the following error in syslog, but I'm unsure if it is
>> related....
>> nginx[17280]: segfault at 00007fffa0869fd0 rip 00002ac509ea61e3 rsp
>> 00007fffa0869ed0 error 6
> That's a segment fault -- ie., Nginx is crashing on you.
> Alexander.

Yeah, I just don't know if it is related to fair.  Perhaps the debug log
will help.

Guess I'll have to start looking at HAProxy, but I'd rather not.

Posted via