Is it possible to monitor the fair proxy balancer?

Brice Figureau brice+nginx at daysofwonder.com
Mon Jun 30 23:23:30 MSD 2008

Hi,

On Sun, June 29, 2008 19:57, Grzegorz Nosek wrote:
> On sob, cze 28, 2008 at 11:36:51 +0200, Brice Figureau wrote:
>> I think we could all (I mean mainly module authors) benefits from an
>> nginx
>> API (like the configuration system) to declare centrally
>> counters/variables of each module that in turn could be displayed by the
>> status module. If I have some spare time soon, I'll try to produce an
>> nginx patch to implement this.
>
> I have attached an experimental patchset for pluggable status reports
> for nginx HTTP modules plus initial upstream_fair support.

Many thanks for doing the hard work. It looks like good from my quick
glance. I'll add this to the upload progress module (if there are some
monitoring needs there, but at least showing debug information could be
great).

> The patchset is rather ugly because it requires adding a field to every
> HTTP
> module definition, thus breaking 3rd party modules. However, the
> required changes are trivial (as you can see in the patch).

Yes, I'm fine with this, although I envisioned something reverse ie
modules declaring fields/counters (kind of a mib if you see what I mean)
to the "monitoring engine", and the status module displaying this
information. But your scheme has the big advantage to be simple, and the
displaying of the information is up to the module.

> I considered adding support for all modules (not only HTTP ones) and
> changing the ngx_module_t structure instead (which has some room to
> spare and would only require a few macro changes) but I think it's up to
> Igor to decide.
>
> Please have a look and let me know what you think.

Yes, that's a good work. I hope Igor could accept such kind of patch to be
part of nginx.
--
Brice Figureau
Days of Wonder