Hanging byte-range requests for remote backend

Brendan Schwartz bschwartz at tropist.com
Tue Mar 4 18:56:40 MSK 2008

Hello,

I'm attempting to proxy requests to a remote backend that supports
byte-range requests (Amazon's S3 in this case).
When I access an asset through the proxy with a byte-range request, it
downloads 99% of the response and then hangs on what seems to be the
last packet of data.
If I omit the Range header, it works perfectly. If I attempt to access
the asset directly from the backend using a Range header, it also
works perfectly.

Is what I'm trying to do possible? If it is, what is causing Nginx to
hang and not deliver that last bit of data?

Thanks,
Brendan

Here's the applicable part of my conf:

    location /s3-proxy/ {
      proxy_set_header Host my.s3.bucket;
      proxy_redirect false;

      rewrite ^/s3-proxy/(.*)$ /$1 break;
      proxy_pass https://s3.amazonaws.com;
    }

Here's the output when attempting to access the asset on S3 by way of Nginx:

$ curl -D- -o /dev/null
http://my.nginx.instance/s3-proxy/s3_key_of_some_object -H
"Range:bytes=0-102400"
HTTP/1.1 206 Partial Content