PhpMyAdmins add a dot to the URL and how to restart Nginx

Fernando Perez lists at ruby-forum.com
Wed Mar 12 00:28:55 MSK 2008

Hi list,

I have been spending the last hours with these two problems. They might
be stupid, but I still prefer to ask the question on the mailing-list
and feel stupid 5 minutes, then feel stupid for 10 more hours.

Problem 1:
°°°°°°°°°°
I have setup PhpMyAdmin with lighttpd spawn-fcgi and it seemed to work.
Well what happens is that when I log in, phpmyadmin (or nginx?) adds a
"." to the url.

So if I type http://mysite.com, I get then login page. Then I login, and
the url becomes:
http://mysite.com./index.php?lang=en-utf-8&convchars....

Then I log off. No problem, but the dot is still there.

Then I log back in, the url becomes:
http://mysite.com../index.php?lang=....

And I get a "server not found" error.

What's happening?

Here is my nginx.conf file:
user  www-data www-data;
worker_processes  3;

error_log  /var/log/nginx/error.log;

pid        /var/run/nginx.pid;

events {
    worker_connections  1024;
}

http {
    include       /etc/nginx/mime.types;
    default_type  application/octet-stream;

    log_format  main  '$remote_addr - $remote_user [$time_local] $status
'
                      '"$request" $body_bytes_sent "$http_referer" '
                      '"$http_user_agent" "http_x_forwarded_for"';

    sendfile       on;
    tcp_nopush     on;
    tcp_nodelay    on;

  gzip  on;

    server {
        listen       80;
        server_name  localhost;

        location / {
            root   /var/www/phpmyadmin;
            index  index.html index.htm index.php;
        }

        location ~ \.php$ {
            #fastcgi_pass
unix:/var/run/spawn-fcgi/php-spawn-fcgi.sock;
            fastcgi_pass    127.0.0.1:10005;

            fastcgi_param SCRIPT_FILENAME
/var/www/phpmyadmin$fastcgi_script_name;
            fastcgi_param QUERY_STRING    $query_string;
            fastcgi_param REQUEST_METHOD  $request_method;
            fastcgi_param CONTENT_TYPE    $content_type;
            fastcgi_param CONTENT_LENGTH  $content_length;

Problem 2:
°°°°°°°°°°

>From the nginx.conf file I have posted, I have been playing with the
fastcgi parameters.

When I remove them all but the SCRIPT_FILENAME, then do "sudo
/etc/init.d/nginx restart" it works... ok.

Then I remove the last parameter SCRIPT_FILENAME, then "sudo
/etc/init.d/nginx restart", then I get a "file not found" error... ok.

So I put back the SCRIPT_FILENAME, then "sudo /etc/init.d/nginx
restart", and theoretically it should work, but no, I still get the
"file not found error".

How is that possible? How do I cleanly reload nginx so that it reads the
configuration file properly?

I am running Ubuntu 7.10 server edition, with nginx package v0.5.26

Best regards,