Nginx file upload: server slows down terribly during upload

Son Pan lists at ruby-forum.com
Wed Mar 12 00:50:52 MSK 2008

I am using 2 Nginx worker processes (1024 connections). Nginx proxies
the requests to 4 mongrel instances. I have noticed that during file
uploads (files are approx. 10 MB each), the server(machine) slows down
quite a lot even though 'top' command does not show any spikes in memory
or CPU usage. Nginx is configured to send out static content. I suspect
this is a problem with my Nginx setup because during uploads, all static
content is served very slowly.

I wonder if anyone can give me any ideas why this might be happening?

Below are parts fron the nginx.conf I am using.

worker_processes  4;
events {
    worker_connections  1024;
}

http {
    include       /etc/nginx/mime.types;
    default_type  application/octet-stream;

    access_log    /var/log/nginx/access.log;
    gzip on;
    gzip_min_length  1100;
    gzip_buffers     4 8k;
    gzip_types       text/plain text/html text/css
application/x-javascript text/xml app
lication/xml application/xml+rss text/javascript;

    sendfile       on;
    tcp_nopush     on;

    #keepalive_timeout  0;
    keepalive_timeout  65;