Benchmarking Nginx on a prehistoric PIII 500

Cliff Wells cliff at develix.com
Thu Mar 13 21:18:00 MSK 2008

On Thu, 2008-03-13 at 11:02 -0700, Cliff Wells wrote:
> You need more information about your test setup.
>
> 1) What type of machine(s) and software are you running the benchmark
> client from?
> 2) What type of network setup is involved?
> 3) Are you restarting the VMware instance between each run of tests?
> 4) How many runs of tests?
>
> Without this information, the tests aren't very informative.
>
> It's also worth noting that with a 32 byte file you are mostly measuring
> connection and http protocol overhead.  You should probably serve a 1K
> file at least.

Also, you should provide more than a simple graph, specifically, how
many failed requests (if any)?  Average time per request and time for
longest request (standard deviation).  Apache bench provides all of
these numbers.

Most people would probably like to know the system load and memory/cpu
utilization as well.

You mention that config files will follow soon, so I won't harp about
the importance of those =)

Regards,
Cliff